Monday, January 4, 2010

Turn Socks Into Long Sleeves


This is a very easy project and it's a great way to practice sewing knits!

I got some short-sleeve tees on sale a while back at Target for less than $3, and I went to town buying 'em up!
And then just recently, Target's long socks went on sale (THREE pairs for less than $5!), so of course I had to buy a bunch of them too!
I was planning to sew some "baby legs" to go with Serenity's CC dresses.

but...

Make It and Love It has a wonderful tutorial that shows you how to make sleeves and add length to a short-sleeve t-shirt. Very neat - and it gave me an idea today to try something!

So I grabbed the last short-sleeve shirt I had left and got to work.

Materials needed:
1 pair of long socks
t-shirt
pins


1. Try the shirt on your Darling Stinker to measure how long you need the sleeves to be, or measure a long sleeve shirt to get the correct length.
2. Pin the sock to the sleeve - I used a lot of pins 'cause I was nervous about messing up! I used a lot less pins on the second sleeve.
3. Using the same colored thread as the t-shirt, sew a wide zig-zag stich around the sleeve - make sure to take your time.
4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 for the second sleeve.


That's it! How easy was that?! So simple - it's perfect for beginners and people like me who need to practice sewing some simple knit projects!


This shirt is a 4T so it's a little big on Serenity - but that just means she'll wear it longer!

Total cost: $4.50

Those are my costs - but you can do it for free using tees and socks you already have!

POST-IT-NOTE :I would like to give a HUGE thank you to Ruffles and Stuff and One Pretty Thing and bebeblog and MaxxSilly for linking this post!

And check out Everyday Chaos to see the sweetest shirt she made for her daughter using my tute! She added the most adorable trim!



Have fun!



BCD Show and tellgiveaways http://www.thethriftyhome.comDIY Day @ ASPTLParty ButtonHookingupwithHoHmonogram


StumbleUpon.com

34 comments:

BJ_Mama said...

I LOVE THIS! Guess who's going to Target tomorrow???? THIS GIRL!

Corey~living and loving said...

Great idea. I like to just go ahead and make the babylegs, and have her wear them on her arms. Works good and you can mix and match. :)

Lynette said...

I love this idea...i need to find some cute socks!!!

Melissa said...

Sew cute! This is definitely going on the to do list!

Tiffany said...

LOVE this! Great idea. Your little model is too cute. Thanks for sharing this fantastic use of socks!

Amanda Pedro said...

neato. But I think you forgot to say to cut the feet off??!!!

Marjorie said...

Great idea! That is the style of shirt that I see everywhere right now! My 7 year old daughter lives in them!

Gale said...

Hmm..If I had long enough socks (or a small enough person) maybe I would have enough of the design from the cut off portion to apply to the front of the shirt..

ch said...

So cute! I may have to try this! THank you for sharing!

Sarah said...

Very cute! I love all the possibilities here! I just did a similar tutorial on my blog (I used my daughter's outgrown sock to lengthen l/s that were too short). http://sunshinemamasite.blogspot.com/2010/01/tutorial-use-old-socks-to-lengthen.html How funny that I came across this two days AFTER I finished my project, figures. lol

Anonymous said...

so cute! what a fun idea! thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

So cute! Once I'm back in the States where it actually gets cold during the winter I'll have to try them :) I just made my first dress-check it out!

Bridget said...

Thanks for the idea, so cute! I just finished adding sock sleeves to my daughters shirt last night and it worked like a charm.

Carli-Made by Carli said...

I totally HEART this idea! And your little darling is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

I think you're on to something.
Cute

Sherry said...

What a fantastic idea!! Running out to target today!

Stitchnmom said...

Such a fabulous idea! Simple, easy, and adorable!!!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, so
CUTE!!

Prior said...

Adorable! I saw one last weekend at First Monday, Canton Trade Days, that used sock Monkey socks on a red t-shirt and the Monkey's face on the shirt, it was really cute, too! Great job, Lezlee

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Holy Cuteness! Of course I am talking about the model! : )

And the sock sleeve are cute too! What a great idea!

Becca said...

I love this! But not as much as that adorable little girl!!!! So cute!

Jen said...

That is SO creative! I will definitely be featuring this at my Penny Pinching Party tomorrow.

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

This is the cutest idea ever! I have never tried sewing but Ive always wanted to try....maybe I will. Oh, first I need a sewing machine....Craigslist??
Your little one is adorable!

Lenetta said...

Linked this one, too. Love it!

Joyeful said...

Oh, I LOVE this!! Too cute!! You have the coolest ideas!

Tiffany said...

I am featuring this! :)
Tiff

TJ and Whitnee said...

I love this! So cute and creative! I'd love to share a link to this tutorial and sewwhattoday.blogspot.com

Kristina said...

Very, very cute. This would totally work for my boys, too, so long as I find the right socks. Definitely going to try it out. Thanks. By the way- found you through Sew What Today.

Anonymous said...

I just had to write and say this was so funny for me because I just so happen to be wearing the red snowflake target socks today on my feet.
Love the tutorial too. So much of the kids tutorials out there seem more for summer. It's nice to see one for summer to winter.

College Term Papers said...

I found your blog on google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the good work. Look forward to reading more from you in the future.

Angela @ A Mama's Two Cents Worth... said...

I was just about to post my tutorial for the same thing but now I don't have to.

AllieMakes! said...

VERY cute! We sure love all the things we have been able to do with target socks for cheap this year, right?
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Web Design said...

Bravo! That is amazing and inspiring!

Study in UK said...

I always learn something new from your post!Great article. I wish I could write so well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails